Paragon BlueBird XL Digital Kiln 120 volt - Width: 20.0" - Height: 4.5" - Depth: 9.0"
The kiln opens doorways of opportunity in beadmaking. The 10” wide double doors give a total of 20” width for inserting bead rods. This kiln is ideal for seminar teachers. It is like having two kilns instead of one.
The BlueBird XL has a user-friendly 3-key Sentry Xpress digital controller. It maintains the annealing temperature that you program for the length of time desired. The controller is packed with features but is so easy to use that your child could program it.
Firebrick Walls and Floor, Ceramic Fiber RoofThe BlueBird XL has durable insulating firebricks in the walls and floor. The element is mounted in the roof and embedded between two layers of ceramic fiber board. This reduces dust inside the kiln.
(Note: The BlueBird XL is fired at the Paragon factory before the outside metal is painted. This is to harden the liquid rigidizer on the ceramic fiber insulation. This may leave black or brown marks on the insulation. These marks are normal.)
Door Latches Keep Doors Closed; Magnets Hold Doors OpenSide latches hold the doors closed while the kiln is heating to annealing temperature. Phenolic knobs on the door handles stay cool to the touch. Rare-earth magnets hold the doors open when needed. A safety switch on the front panel turns off power to the controller when the kiln is not in use.
We have added a stainless steel glass rod warmer on top of the kiln. Pre-heating glass rods saves production time.
Heavy-Duty ConstructionThe steel base supports the kiln in two layers. The upper steel base supports and strengthens the firebrick floor; the lower steel base covers the entire kiln bottom where it rests on your worktable. Electrical components are mounted to the lower base, away from the heat of the firing chamber.
To save table space, the Sentry Xpress digital controller is mounted under the kiln in an ergonomic sloped panel for easy operation. The built-in base stays cool even during extended hold times for the long life of the electrical system. It is slotted to dissipate heat and comes with mar-proof plastic feet.
The Blue Bird XL plugs into a standard household outlet. The kiln ships by convenient UPS. It ships in a special carton with vacuum-formed padding to assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
And, of course, the BlueBird XL is made in America to exacting standards. The kiln is coated with durable high-temperature water base paint, which produces low emissions during spraying. This is better for our employees and the environment.
Features of the BlueBird XL
- 3-key digital Sentry Xpress controller
- 1 each 4” high short door and 4 1/4” high tall door for the ultimate in versatility
- Door latches to hold the doors closed while fusing glass
- 9” deep firing chamber (measured with doors closed)
- Firebrick roof, walls, and floor
- 1”-thick ceramic fiber doors
- Mandrel holders with 20 slots
- 1500°F maximum temperature
- Pinless element grooves in the roof
- Coated firebricks in roof
- Mar-proof plastic feet
- On-off safety switch
The controller is easy to use. Read the manual and watch the instructional videos on our website. The kiln includes a Quick Start programming guide and a 16-page controller instruction manual, printed in color.
You will be amazed at the convenience of digital firing. The reliable solid-state Sentry Xpress controller continually monitors the firing so you do not need to closely watch the kiln. (Please remember, however, to check the kiln occasionally during firing and to monitor it near the expected shutoff time.) You can try out a demonstration of the controller on your computer by clicking here.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Paragon Fusion Kilns
- Program up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in Single Speed mode.
- Store up to 4 programs in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold without having to stop the kiln to reprogram. (For instance, you want to skip to the annealing segment.)
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the firing to reprogram.
- Easily control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Program an alarm that will remind you to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln at a time that best suits your busy schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems.
- The sealed touch pad keeps out dust and is easy to wipe clean.
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review all the controller features in more detail.
Max. Temperature 1500F
Amps 14 Phase 1 Watts 1700 Nema 5-15R Breaker Size 20 Circuit Copper Wire Size 12 gauge TUV tested to CSA and UL Standard 499 Y CE Y Control Type
Sentry Xpress 4.0 Digital 3-Key
Voltage 120 Hertz 60
Disclaimer: The specifications above assume that the kiln will be plugged into a dedicated circuit. Local electric codes supersede our recommendations.The pricing and electrical specifications for the above products reflect their design for use in the United States. The International versions of most models will have variations in electrical specifications and price due to consumer safety requirements or electrical regulations.
Kiln Type Front Loading Square Sides 4 Understanding Chamber Measurements Chamber Volume 0.47 CU.FT.
Chamber Width 20.00 IN
Chamber Depth 9.00 IN
Chamber Height 4.50 IN
The Outer Size of the Kiln and the Shipping Size: Width = Left to Right; Depth = Front to Back; Height = Top to Bottom
Outer Size 25.50W x 19.00D x 16.00H Inches
648W x 483D x 406H mm
Ship Size 32.00W x 24.00D x 23.00H Inches
813W x 610D x 584H mm
Ship Weight 86.00 Lbs.
Ship Method & Notations This Kiln Ships Via UPSThis kiln is subject to a UPS oversize box charge.
Ratings & Reviews
fantastic work horse!
by ian r -
I believe that the bluebird xl is one of the best sized kilns for your everyday production glass work. Nice n wide ya got plenty of room for finished work on the right side and 10 slots for prewarming blanks on the left. The controller is amazing as well with plenty of programmable segments for stricking colors or even for fusing projects. All and all I have had my bluebird xl for almost 3.5 years now (firing it almost everyday) and have only had to change the relay last year (like 30 bucks) and the roof elements just a week ago (only reason why the elements blew out was due to electrical work being done in my neighborhood and I didn't turn off and unplug my kiln when I knew there could be a surge... silly me) All and all I recommend this kiln like crazy. Much love yall! -Ian Rizk Melodium glass
by J A -
I love my Bluebird it is great for the active lampworker it truley is like having two kilns in one there is plenty of room for all your prep work and finished pieces no clanging and clapping your work together trying to find room the Bluebird is like a garage for your work