Paragon SC2 Digital Kiln w/ Bead Door & Window
The digital SC-2 kiln fires silver clay, decals, china paint, enameling, and glass in minutes up to 2000°F. The SC-2 is popular with seminar teachers because it fires fast, plugs into a standard 120 volt household outlet, ships by UPS, and is easy to sell.
The basic SC-2 has been in production since 1997. It is a proven design that we have steadily refined every year. Thousands of artists in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Japan love their SC-2.
The SC-2 with bead door and window, for a digital kiln, is surprisingly affordable. It fires automatically at the rate and temperature you enter. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature and hold time. Use the hold feature to automatically soak any type of clay silver to its recommended time.
The 6 1/2” wide bead door includes a brushed stainless steel mandrel holder. The 1” x 3” window is beveled for a wide view of the kiln interior. The high-tech ceramic fiber firing chamber is wrapped in a steel inner case. The outer steel case remains cool due to the layer of air between it and the inner case. In addition, the case is slotted for air circulation. Electrical components, located in the base, stay cool even at extended hold times.
Paige Litfin of Culver City, California said, “I have the SC-2 with window, and I do enameling and metal clay. Since I am new to enameling, I couldn't live without the window. I do use a timer and try to keep good notes, but I neeeeed to look in that window.”
The fast-firing element is embedded in the firing chamber shell. The SC-2 heats from the sides and back. Each SC-2 includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf.SC-2 Features
- 6 1/2”-wide bead door with brushed stainless steel mandrel holder
- 1” x 3” glass window
- On/off safety switch
- Built-in base; no extra stand needed
- Door opens 180 degrees
- The case is slotted for air circulation
- Electrical components in the base stay cool even at extended hold times
- The embedded element heats from the two sides and back
- Top vent complete with tapered plug for lost wax casting
- Includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with exciting features. It includes two firing modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Non-Ceramic Paragon Kilns
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold. Experiment with Hold to improve color saturation of china paints.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- A Quick Start Guide to place near your kiln as a handy reference
The SC-2 can ship by UPS. Enjoy lower shipping cost and faster service. Specially designed cartons and foam padding assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
Ratings & Reviews
by Evan S -
This is a fantastic little kiln that is great for beginners and people just getting started out in the glass scene. perfect for smaller size pieces pendants spoons and even little vessels. Its small durable and definitely transportable and has multiple program settings which makes things easier. heat doesn't jump all over as I've seen other kilns do and the little bead door makes inserting punty rods super convenient. Overall a great kiln that I would purchase again if need be.
by Kyle K -
This is a great kiln for small work for the single individual. Its plenty enough to get the basics down. Doesn't boost up the electricity bill too much either! All around great for the price and size. Can never go wrong with paragon.
Great small kiln, reliable and easy to use
Perfect kiln for beads and small sculpture soft and boro. Runs off normal house voltage (120V) so no need for special plugs, receptacles or wiring. Bead door is convenient for loading hot beads into kiln. Larger door is great for loading small sculptures, pendants and small functional work. The controller enables the user to input 4 custom programs, for example I have mine programmed for 1) small, soft glass items (bead), 2) larger soft glass items (big honking beads and off mandrel sculptural pieces that need a longer soak before ramp down), 3) small boro sculpture and hollow pieces and 4) larger, solid boro sculpture and marbles. In addition there are 5 pre-configured programs, I use program 5 for full ramp to set temperature, then hold for many hours to garage while working. Has been a very reliable unit, I did have an early failure of the relay, but the part was readily available from Paragon (or you can find a compatible part on the web) and easy to replace.