SC2 Digital Kiln w/ Bead Door & Window - 120 Volt - Width: 8.0" - Height: 5.75" - Depth: 7.75" - Paragon
Ideal for Teachers
“I have traveled with my SC-2 for 11 years. I sometimes have to use welding gloves to put the warm kiln on a cart, take it outside, load it in the car, and wrap it in a wool blanket.
“I have traveled out of state with my SC-2 repeatedly. Fired it over and over again in class, burned up all manner of skewers, toothpicks, cork clay and more. The kiln can take it! While I'm sure the kiln wouldn't mind an easier life, it's doing fine.” –Elaine Luther of River Forest, Illinois, USA
The heat of the kiln is magical and offers wonderful surprises. Stained glass, enamels, and ceramic glazes undergo a complete transformation in the kiln. Opening a kiln to view your treasures is a joy that you will never outgrow. Experiment with reactive glass colors, screen printing on glass, glass decals, painting with frit and stringers, glass pendants, the endless beauty of dichroic glass . . . the list goes on and on.
You can try the amazing Art Clay Silver, PMC silver clay, and even glass clay. Shape these clays with simple tools and fire them in the kiln. The digital SC-2 kiln fires china paint, enameling, and glass in minutes. Fire up to 2000°F. The SC-2 is popular with seminar teachers because it fires fast, plugs into a standard 120 volt household outlet, ships by UPS, and is easy to sell.
The base model SC-2 has been in production since 1997. It is a proven design that we have steadily refined every year. Thousands of artists in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Japan love their SC-2. The SC-2 is popular in art centers, colleges, craft classes, and even engineering laboratories.
Easy to Fire
The SC-2 can hold three shelves of silver clay yet is portable enough to take with you to classes. Program the firing schedule that is perfect for your projects. You are not stuck with preset programs. The programmer turns itself off after the firing is completed. (Please note, however, that you should be near the kiln at the expected shutoff time.) the SC-2 is great in classrooms because the elements are embedded in ceramic fiber.
Even Heat Distribution
Several years ago we redesigned the kiln for improved heat distribution. The new design has two separate heating elements in the left and right sides of the firing chamber. The back of the chamber has no element. Extensive testing shows that the heat distribution in the new SC-2 is more even throughout the firing chamber, because heat does not build up in the back of the kiln.
Affordable, Easy to Program
The SC-2 with bead door and window, for a digital kiln, is surprisingly affordable and made right here in Mesquite, Texas USA. It fires automatically at the rate and temperature you enter. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature, and hold time. Use the hold feature to automatically soak any type of clay silver to its recommended time.
The Convenience of the Bead Door and Glass Window
Anneal glass beads with the 6 1/2” wide bead door, which includes a brushed stainless steel mandrel holder. Insert the mandrel into the kiln. The bead door stays partially open while the glass anneals. The kiln ships with a rare earth magnet to hold open the bead door.
The 1” x 3” window is beveled for a wide view of the kiln interior. The high-tech ceramic fiber firing chamber is wrapped in a steel inner case. The outer steel case remains cool due to the layer of air between it and the inner case. In addition, the case is slotted for air circulation. Electrical components, located in the base, stay cool even at extended hold times.
Paige Litfin of Culver City, California said, “I have the SC-2 with window, and I do enameling and metal clay. Since I am new to enameling, I couldn't live without the window. I do use a timer and try to keep good notes, but I neeeeed to look in that window.”
The view port is especially useful for glass fusing and copper enameling. Watch the glass or enameling progress through every stage of firing to the precise stage you desire.
The fast-firing element is embedded in the firing chamber shell. Each SC-2 includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf.
Features of the SC-2
- 6 1/2”-wide bead door with brushed stainless steel mandrel holder
- 1” x 3” glass window
- Improved heat distribution
- On/off toggle switch
- Built-in base; no extra stand needed
- Door opens 180 degrees
- The case is slotted for air circulation
- Electrical components in the base stay cool even at extended hold times
- The embedded element heats from the two sides for superior heat distribution
- Top vent complete with tapered plug for lost wax casting
- Includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf
The Amazing Digital Controller
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with exciting features. It includes two firing modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Non-Ceramic Paragon Kilns
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold. Experiment with Hold to improve color saturation of china paints.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- A Quick Start Guide to place near your kiln as a handy reference
Designed for production
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
- Max Temp: 2000° F | 1093° C
- Voltage: 120
- Amps: 14
- Phase: 1
- Hertz: 60
- Watts: 1680
- Cordset: Nema 5-15R
- Controller: Sentry Xpress 4.0 Digital 3-Key
- Kiln Type: Top Loading Square
- Sides: 4
- Chamber Volume: 0.21 CU.FT. | 5.95 Liters
- Wall Thickness (Inches): 2.5″
- Top Thickness (Inches): 2.5″
- Bottom Thickness (Inches): 2.5″
- Width Diameter: 8.0″ - 203mm
- Depth: 7.75″ - 197mm
- Height: 5.75″ - 146mm
- Outer Size: 13.25″W x 14.0"D x 15.5″H | 337W x 356D x 394H mm
- Ship Size: 22.0″W x 17.0″D x 19.0″H | 559W x 432D x 483H mm
Ratings & Reviews
by Evan S -
This is a fantastic little kiln that is great for beginners and people just getting started out in the glass scene. perfect for smaller size pieces pendants spoons and even little vessels. Its small durable and definitely transportable and has multiple program settings which makes things easier. heat doesn't jump all over as I've seen other kilns do and the little bead door makes inserting punty rods super convenient. Overall a great kiln that I would purchase again if need be.
by Kyle K -
This is a great kiln for small work for the single individual. Its plenty enough to get the basics down. Doesn't boost up the electricity bill too much either! All around great for the price and size. Can never go wrong with paragon.
Great small kiln, reliable and easy to use
Perfect kiln for beads and small sculpture soft and boro. Runs off normal house voltage (120V) so no need for special plugs, receptacles or wiring. Bead door is convenient for loading hot beads into kiln. Larger door is great for loading small sculptures, pendants and small functional work. The controller enables the user to input 4 custom programs, for example I have mine programmed for 1) small, soft glass items (bead), 2) larger soft glass items (big honking beads and off mandrel sculptural pieces that need a longer soak before ramp down), 3) small boro sculpture and hollow pieces and 4) larger, solid boro sculpture and marbles. In addition there are 5 pre-configured programs, I use program 5 for full ramp to set temperature, then hold for many hours to garage while working. Has been a very reliable unit, I did have an early failure of the relay, but the part was readily available from Paragon (or you can find a compatible part on the web) and easy to replace.