Paragon F240 Front Loading Digital Kiln w/Side Elements 240v and Mercury Relays
Anneal large glass figurines in the digital F-240 lamp working kiln. Raise the spring-loaded vertical-drop door to insert a glass figurine with a punty rod. Lower the door. The punty rods or mandrels will extend outside the firing chamber through the small punty rod doors. This allows even large glass pieces to anneal safely.
Punty rod doors retain the heatTwo 4” x 7 1/2” punty rod doors will give you plenty of room to work with. Because of a gap under the punty rod doors, you can usually close them all the way even when mandrels extend past the firing chamber. Two layers of woven gaskets under each door help to hold in the heat. Powerful rare-earth magnets hold the punty rod doors in the open and closed positions. To help retain heat, the ceramic fiber punty rod doors are two inches thick.
New slide-out mandrel holderWe have added an adjustable mandrel holder to the front of the kiln. Adjust it horizontally and vertically without tools. Position the heavy-duty welded mandrel holder from 1 1/4” to 12” from the front edge of the main floor. (A firebrick extension on the front of the kiln fits under the punty rod doors beyond the front edge of the kiln floor.) Then tighten the mandrel holder with the thumb screws on each side of the kiln. The holder slides inside steel tubes mounted in the base of the kiln. The stainless steel mandrel rest, which includes 14 slots, can also be adjusted vertically.
New thicker firebricks in the F-240The firebricks in the roof, walls, door, and bottom are 3” thick. This is 20% more insulation than the standard 2 1/2” firebricks in the walls and bottom of our earlier F-240 kilns. The extra insulation enables the F-240 to maintain a temperature hold with greater ease. A firebrick ledge extends 3” past the punty rod doors as a handy working surface.
Safety testingFor your safety the F-240 is rigorously tested by TUV to meet UL and CSA standards. TUV is Germany’s leading testing lab. We can make the F-240 for any electrical system in the world. The F-240 includes a safety on/off switch for your convenience. Electrical components stay cool in a slotted base. No extra stand is needed for your kiln.
Deluxe mercury relays are standardWe have upgraded the F-240 with the deluxe mercury relay, which controls the cycling of the heating elements. The relay is industrial grade and heavy-duty for extra long life. Ask experienced glass artists what they think of the relay.
Digital temperature controllerMaintain the annealing temperature indefinitely with the Sentry Xpress 3-key controller. The thermocouple, which senses the temperature, is protected with a high-nickel stainless steel sheath for long, trouble free life.
User-friendly instructionsIncluded with your kiln is a 16 page controller instruction manual and a quick start programming guide, all written in plain English and fully illustrated.
Made in USAThe F-240 is made at the Paragon factory in Mesquite, Texas USA.The Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold. Single Speed is especially easy to program.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Paragon Glass Kilns
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- On/off switch
- Safety pilot light
- Elements in the walls, protected in dropped, recessed grooves
Ratings & Reviews
by Kyle K -
This thing, as I said in the title, is a beast!! For one person in the shop its great for all types of sculptural work. Its a very well built kiln and holds the heat with no problems. The Kevlar on the doors is a great addition. I have had mine for a year with no problems. A great investment.
Great kiln from Paragon
I have had this kiln for over a year and it has operated perfectly. The programmable controller works very well with little to no temperature overshoot, holds within a degree or two of the set point, and the ramp feature is very useful. The downside to the controller is that it is not very intuitive to use and every time I program it I still need to refer to the directions. The first time firing the Kiln it does emit a fairly strong odor which is expected but make sure you do this in a well ventilated area. There was no odor on any subsequent firings. The large size of this kiln is great for annealing larger pieces and the punty rod doors make it easy to garage your pieces while still allowing the kiln to retain its heat. The front mandrel rest is fully adjustable forward and back as well as up and down. The 3 inch fire brick does a great job holding in the heat, running at 1050 for hours the outside only get slightly about warm. After over 100 firings I have had no issues.