Paragon BlueBird Digital Kiln 120 volt - Width: 20.0" - Height: 2.75" - Depth: 6.0"
High-tech Ceramic FiberThe BlueBird features high-tech ceramic fiber insulation in the roof, walls and floor. The element is embedded in the roof between layers of ceramic fiber board to reduce dust. This is a true high performance kiln you will enjoy using often. (Note: The BlueBird kilns are fired at the Paragon factory before the outside metal is painted. This is to harden the liquid rigidizer on the ceramic fiber insulation. This may leave black or brown marks on the insulation. These marks are normal.)
Mandrel Holders, Glass Rod WarmerInsert bead mandrels into the kiln. The mandrel ends rest outside the kiln on 3”-deep slotted stainless steel mandrel holders, cradled at two points. Adjust the height of the mandrel holders by loosening screws underneath.
We have added exciting new performance-enhancing features to the BlueBird, such as the stainless steel glass rod warmer on top of the kiln. Pre-heating glass rods saves production time.
Door Latches and Rare-Earth MagnetsSide latches hold the doors closed while the kiln is heating to annealing temperature. Phenolic knobs stay cool to the touch. Rare-earth magnets hold the doors open when needed. A safety switch on the front panel turns off power to the controller when the kiln is not in use.
Sloped Panel for Easy OperationTo save table space, the Sentry Xpress digital controller is mounted under the kiln in an ergonomic, sloped panel for easy operation. The built-in base stays cool even during extended hold times. It is slotted to dissipate heat and comes with mar-proof plastic feet.
The steel base supports the kiln in two layers. The upper steel base supports and strengthens the ceramic fiber floor; the lower steel base covers the entire kiln bottom where it rests on your worktable. Electrical components are mounted to the lower base, away from the heat of the firing chamber.
Economical to FireThe BlueBird plugs into a standard household outlet. It draws only 1500 watts and is economical to fire. The kiln ships by convenient UPS. Specially designed cartons and vacuum-formed padding assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
Deluxe Water-Base PaintThe BlueBird has a durable high temperature, water-base finish. Water-base paint produces low emissions during spraying, which creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on pollution.
Digital ControllerThe BlueBird’s user-friendly 3-key Sentry Xpress digital controller automatically maintains the annealing temperature that you select. The controller is packed with features but is so easy to use that your child could program it. The kiln includes a Quick Start programming guide and a 16-page controller instruction manual, printed in color.
The Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold. The solid-state controller continually monitors the firing so you can spend your time productively without closely watching the kiln. The sealed controller touch pad keeps out dust and wipes clean in seconds.
You will be amazed at the convenience of digital firing. The reliable solid-state Sentry Xpress controller continually monitors the firing so you do not need to closely watch the kiln. (Please remember, however, to check the kiln occasionally during firing and to monitor it near the expected shutoff time.) You can try out a demonstration of the controller on your computer by clicking here.
"Daniel and I are a husband and wife team and love the fact that with the BlueBird we have plenty of space for our beads when working together in the studio. Wonderful kiln!" -- Jenelle Aubade of SFD Glass Studio in Fayetteville, North Carolina. You can download a free copy of a lampworking bead tutorial. Click here.
Features of the BlueBird
- digital Sentry Xpress controller
- 2 - 10” wide x 2” high doors
- adjustable 3”-deep slotted stainless steel mandrel holders
- stainless steel glass rod warmer
- Door latches hold the doors closed; rare-earth magnets hold the doors open
- 6” deep firing chamber (measured with doors closed)
- Ceramic fiber roof, walls, and floor
- Embedded roof element
- 1”-thick ceramic fiber doors
- Mandrel holders with 20 slots
- 1200°F maximum temperature
- Mar-proof plastic feet
- On-off safety switch
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Paragon Fusion Kilns
- Program up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in Single Speed mode.
- Store up to 4 programs in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold without having to stop the kiln to reprogram. (For instance, you want to skip to the annealing segment.)
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the firing to reprogram.
- Easily control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Program an alarm that will remind you to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln at a time that best suits your busy schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems.
- The sealed touch pad keeps out dust and is easy to wipe clean.
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review all the controller features in more detail.
Ratings & Reviews
by Wesley -
Amazing Kiln. Easy to set up, easy to use . Great for a beginner working on smaller hollow work and beads. But as I grew to larger vessels i noticed i was slightly limited to what i could make do to the kiln door being kind of small. But hey they've got an XL to fix that problem. Other than that perfect kiln for beginners or smaller form glass workers.
Great Little Workhorse
by Anna Miller
As an avid lampworker, this kiln is indispensable. Once you have the program you like dialed in, it is super easy to get started on making beads instead of fiddling with the controls. It heats up quickly and retains the desired temperature withing couple of degrees. The versatility of adjusting and retaining several program cycles is very useful. It is comparatively light as far as kilns go and small footprint is convenient for beadmakers as it can fit on workbench. I use it to preheat my glass rods too, it minimizes the shockiness of some glass and eliminates the time spent having to warm up the glass in flame. The top of it is rather hot when in use, I place my murini in metal dish on top to preheat them. Jut don't touch! use pliers or some tool to pick up the dish. Being able to plug it right in to standard household outlet does not hurt either ;)