Mini Scarab Kiln w/ Outer Point Rest - Width: 12.0" - Height: 16.0" - Depth: 12.0" - 240 Volt - Skutt
A Staple for any Flameworking Shop
The Mini Scarab (not so mini) has become a very common fixture among the Flameworking Community. It’s big enough to handle the most common pieces, yet small enough to go mobile.
- The software for the COE Controller was developed by Flameworker Marcel Braun to fit the specific needs of the Boro Flameworker. Marcel knows how important to know how long your piece is at he set point temperature. That is why he programmed a feature in the controller that tells you exactly that amount of time. If you dip below that temperature it waits until it is back to set point and restarts the clock.
- It can be easy as pressing Go to start working and Go twice to anneal your piece and call it a night.
- The Controller is programmed to heat to 1100° F, but you can set it for whatever temperature you want.
- You can choose between the 3 preset Annealing programs or create your own.
- Also includes built in striking and repair programs.
Primary Point Rests
The Primary Point rests are designed to slide up and down to support your rods and tubes. If your handles are extremely long, we would suggest adding the Optional Secondary Point Rest which extends further out from the kiln and is fully adjustable up and down.
When you are ready to anneal you slide all 3 point rests up tight against the doggie doors to seal off the chamber.
The point rests are constructed of solid brick and stainless steel for maximum life. To operate them simply loosen the the knob, slide the rest to the position desired and tighten the knob. It was specifically designed to be a one hand operation so you can hold your glass with the other hand.
Balanced Main Door
The Main Chamber Door hinge system has been completely redesigned with precision hardware for smoother operation. The door is balanced using an counterweight. The arms holding the counter weight were engineered with a precise bend that places the counterweight in a neutral position when the door is half open. This allows for enough weight when the door is down to keep it closed and keeps it from wanting to get away from you when you open it.
The entire door is constructed of insulating fire brick surrounded by heavy gauge stainless steel. The handle is also constructed of stainless steel to prevent corrosion.
The “Doggie” Doors
The Doggie Doors (sometimes referred to as bead doors) are the brainchild of master flameworker Marcel Braun. They are constructed using a channeled stainless steel frame which holds a section of soft fiberboard. When you close the door it rests gently on your glass handles, sealing in the heat without scratching the glass. If they ever wear out you can replace them easily and inexpensively. The doors are counterbalanced to stay open on there own with weighted wood handles that stay cool to the touch.
Let’s face it, these kilns are heavy!. The last thing you want to do is to start wrestling around with them to get at a component that needs to be replaced. All Scarab kilns are designed with a Removable Chasis which holds all the main electrical and electronic components. Just remove the screws that hold it in place and slide it out. You can even disconnect the power cord and ship the whole thing back to Skutt for testing if necessary.
One of the most problematic components of kilns has traditionally been the relays. Mechanical relays have a limited life which is why Skutt has upgraded all Scarab Kilns with Solid State Relays. These relays or kept cool with a fan mounted in the side of the kiln (not necessary on the Mini Scarab because the Amps are so low).
Did I mention these kilns are heavy? Every Scarab kiln is equipped with two pairs of handles so the can be moved easier. The handles are ergonomically placed to balance the weight while you are carrying it and also positioned low enough so you can lift it onto a table.
- Unlike most warranties, ours covers Parts AND Labor.
- Never Pro-Rated.
- Serviced by the most extensive, knowledgeable and talented distributor network in the industry.
- Backed by a company whose mission statement is “We help you make great things”. When your kiln is down, you can’t make great things.
- Warranty: Two Year Limited Warranty
- Max Temp: 1700° F | 927° C
- Voltage: 240
- Amps: 16
- Phase: 1
- Watts: 3840
- Cordset: NEMA 6-20R
- Kiln Type: Front Loading Square
- Sides: 4
- Chamber Volume: 1.4 CU.FT. | 39.64 Liters
- Width: 12″ - 305mm
- Depth: 12″ - 305mm
- Height: 16″ - 406mm
- Ship Size: 30.0″W x 31.0″D x 52.0″H | 762W x 787D x 1312H mm
Ratings & Reviews
My daily driver
Great kiln for one person or a few people working on small stuff. As with all skutts the front couple inches are a bit cooler and the back two corners are hotter so be aware of this when doing thin work. It has more than enough room to make rigs, goblets, etc. Skutt has the best quality controllers on the market. Annealing cycle is already programmed out of box. Designed for the needs of borosilicate lampworkers.
Wow gotta pick one up
Best kiln in the game! Super reliable and can hold lots of beautiful art.
Skutt for life! What a porsche of a kiln.
by Hinun Padilla
I can't say enough good things about this company and this kiln, it is so many steps above the rest. I love all the options that it has...from the handles for carrying to the fantastic door closure and adjustable punty holder. These kilns are so thought out and designed by glass blowers for glass blowers. Truely the best company making kilns out there! Get a skutt, you wont be disappointed!